Friday, February 5, 2010

A little something about my dad ...

I just wanted to give my dad a little "shout out" today.  He's come to be my hero in the last couple of days ... not that he ever stopped being a hero, but he was a tremendous help to me with the entertainment center that I'm working on.

When I was growing up, my dad tried to build everything that he thought we needed.  Entertainment centers, tables, decks ... he was a pretty good woodworker.  When his eyesight started getting the best of him, he sort of put his hobby of building things on a shelf and took up other hobbies that were better suited for a man with limited sight.  You would be amazed if I told you that he crochets now - and he's nearly 100% blind!

Anyway, when I told my dad that I was going to start building some furniture around here, I saw a little part of him  light up again.  I think he was just as excited as I was, and he's been helping me with ideas, tips, and "rules" that I didn't know about until he taught me.  To say that I could've done this without his help would be a lie.  A part of me would like to think that I'm giving my dad back his old hobby, even if he can't do as much as he'd like to do himself - he's doing it through me.  I guess it's true that at some point, parents do live their lives through their children.

So, this post is for you dad.  Thank you for helping me with this entertainment center, and thank you for all the help you've offered for my future projects.  I'm blessed to have you as a dad and I'm looking forward to "talking shop" with you for many years to come.  Who knows, maybe one of these days I'll even let you teach me how to crochet.  

Love you!

No comments: